Sunday, September 21, 2008

why japanese?

I grew up in Los Angeles, which has a very diverse population. As a result, you interact with people from lots of different backgrounds and it's almost impossible not to pick up at least a few words in a couple of other languages. From this, I became interested in learning other languages. I guess I decided to focus on Japanese in college because I had always wanted to learn Japanese, but it wasn't offered at my high school (not until after I graduated, anyway) and because I wanted to learn a non-Romantic language for once (Spanish was mandatory at my elementary school and I took French in high school). Also, I have been immersed in Asian culture my whole life- I'm Korean! So cartoons and manga, which we call 'manhwa chek' in Korean, were always a part of my life. It did not take long for my interest in Japanese culture to develop.

For this semester, I'm excited to finally learn Kanji. I know, really nerdy... Right now, I find it difficult to remember what I learned last semester. I keep having to look up things that I really should know. Hopefully everything will come back to me.

No comments: